Hi. My name is Eric. This is my journey after being paralyzed in an off-road motorcycle accident on January 22, 2011. I suffered a fractured T12 resulting in a ASIA A Complete spinal cord injury. I have no sensation or motor function from my waist down and am in a wheelchair. My wife, two young daughters, family and friends have been supporting me in this journey.


Thursday, June 2, 2011

Rehab - On My Own Now

After I was discharged from VMC, I had to find a gym to work out at so I continue my strength training exercises.  I found out that almost every junior college in California is required to have an adaptive PE program for people with disabilities.  I signed up for adaptive PE classes at Gavilan Community College in Gilroy.  They have a fantastic adaptive gym for people with all kinds of disabilities.  The place is neat, clean and very well organized.  They have a lot of equipment to use and the people who run it are very helpful and friendly.  My dad and I go down there 4 times a week to work out.  They have motorized leg bikes, a standing frame with glider, hand bikes, treadmills, ellipticals, parallel bars, and a room full of new workout equipment.  They are working on getting a rickshaw to build those much needed triceps muscles for transferring, pressure reliefs and wheelchair propulsion.

I also returned to VMC for outpatient therapy once a week for 2 months to work on a few more skills.  I was taught how to get back into my chair from the floor, how to go up and down curbs, steps, ramps and my favorite...wheelies!!!  I am done with therapy for now so I need to keep practicing everything that I have learned.

Now it is time to move on to other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment