Hi. My name is Eric. This is my journey after being paralyzed in an off-road motorcycle accident on January 22, 2011. I suffered a fractured T12 resulting in a ASIA A Complete spinal cord injury. I have no sensation or motor function from my waist down and am in a wheelchair. My wife, two young daughters, family and friends have been supporting me in this journey.


Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Bio-Fit and Injections - June 14, 2011

The Bio-Fit physical therapy workout started with the normal stretching of Eric's legs and hips then situps with a medicine ball.  Eric has progressed to an 8 pound ball so he must be getting stronger.  Next Alexis introduced a new exercise where Eric pulled himself into a standing position, held it for 10 seconds, then squatted back down.  This is excellent since Eric has not stood since coming to Panama.  At home we have a standing frame and he stands for an hour a few times per week.

Eric preparing to stand

Eric standing
 




















In the afternoon we went for Eric's injections at the Stem Cell Institute.  I asked them to take pictures of his lumbar puncture in his spine and they agreed.  I also took a picture of the IV injection.

Sterilizing Eric's back
Adding additional sterile protection

A needle with external fitting is inserted into the spine, then the injection needle with stem cells is inserted into the fitting.

For the arm IV injection, a needle is inserted into the arm or hand.  This has an external fitting so that the doctor can insert several vials of stem cells.  Two vials were injected into Eric's arm.


IV stem cell injection into the arm

No comments:

Post a Comment